Welcome to Youth and Family Ministry at Unity Church of Overland Park. Our youth and family programs honor each child and family as an expression of the Christ within. Each Sunday our classrooms are full of children and teens exploring Unity principles and teachings in a fun, engaging, safe and interactive environment. Each classroom is staffed by a team of loving and dedicated volunteers who enthusiastically guide our youth through their own personal discovery of their relationship with God and how that power can have a wonderful impact on their lives. I am constantly amazed by the depth of spiritual understanding our youth share with me and am thankful for the opportunity to work in such an environment.
Rev. Brandon Nagel
Class Ages & Meeting Times
9:00am - Nursery, Unitots, & Children
11:00am - Nursery, Unitots, Children, Uniteens & Y.O.U. meet
- Nursery - Infants and toddlers through age 2 (The nursery is located on the main floor)
- Unitots - Children ages 3* to Pre-K (Unitots meet in classrooms located on the 2nd floor)
- Children - 1st - 5th grades (Children meet in classrooms located on the 2nd floor)
- Uniteens - 6th - 8th grades (Uniteens meet in Harmony Hall 5 on the lower level at 11am)
- Y.O.U. (Youth of Unity) - High school (Y.O.U. meets on the lower level in Classroom B at 11am)
If for some reason your child is unable to join their age-appropriate classroom, an enclosed, sound-proof Family Room is provided in the Sanctuary for parents and children to enjoy the service without interruption to other congregants.
Our nursery is staffed by several loving individuals each Sunday. Each Sunday typically features a story and a simple craft or art project for the children to enjoy. Childcare is also made available through reservation during evening events scheduled Monday through Thursday at the church. Reservations for evening child care can be made by clicking here. Childcare is available for a minimum suggested love offering of $5/child. Our childcare workers are paid staff and your love offerings support that.
Children - Unitots and Children
In a typical week after checking your children into their classrooms, they spend ten minutes in fellowship and pre-session crafts. Our lessons then begin with a time of meditation, which is followed by a story and discussion of the spiritual lessons presented in the story. Frequently these stories are from “The Children’s Illustrated Bible” which presents the material in more of a storybook form. Our children are then lead through a creative experiential based activity that allows them to express and experience the lesson on a personal level. It is our goal in youth and family to create unique and one of a kind experiences that mirror the lessons our adults are learning in the sanctuary on Sunday mornings!
Uniteens participate in discussion, crafts, games and meditation every Sunday during the 11 a.m. service. This group explores spiritual truths in a safe and age appropriate environment. They have the opportunity to connect with other teens and to take the ideas and spiritual principles shared and see how they can incorporate them into their lives. Bible and metaphysics are explored and self expression is encouraged. Our Uniteens are also actively involved in both service to the church and supportive community building activities (such as lock-ins and camp-outs) as they grow through their middle school years.
Y.O.U. (Youth of Unity)
This classroom is staffed by 1 to 3 sponsors each week. The group meets every Sunday during the 11 a.m. service. The focus of our Y.O.U. chapter is on assisting the teens in developing leadership skills and encouraging them to have an active role in the classroom experience. It is a classroom that is student led, adult guided. This age group uses their understanding of the Bible and Truth principles to discuss and look deeper into the issues and concerns that they encounter each day. This is a very active ministry. They support one another and enjoy many opportunities to explore their spirituality through social outings, social service projects and other events. Opportunities to attend sub-regional events, regional retreats and rallies are offered throughout the year. Click here for more information about upcoming regional youth of unity (Y.O.U.) events and to register.
Youth & Family Video
Youth Sunday service
Unity provides a strong spiritual foundation for children’s lives. Unity:
- Beholds all children as whole and perfect expressions of God
- Empowers children to fulfill their divine potential
- Teaches children to meditate and pray
- Invites children to experience a loving God
Youth & Family Vision Statement - The children of our world live from a fundamental awareness of God’s indwelling presence and unending love.
- All parents/guardians are required to sign their children in (Nursery through 5th grade) each Sunday and all must have a registration form on file.
- At the conclusion of the adult Sunday service, the children join the adults in the sanctuary for a closing experience.
- Once the Sunday service has ended the children are guided back to the classroom and parents/guardians are required to pick them up immediately following the service and to sign them out.
- All staff and volunteers have undergone background checks.