Always a BlessingUnitots7/19/2015This Week’s Theme: Encouraging the understanding that there is always a blessing to be found in every situation. We must remember that God is always present.Teacher Insights: Today’s lesson will invite the class to see how God is present even when something in life is difficult. Today we will focus on the following objectives for our classes.
- If we look patiently enough, we will find the blessing in the situation.
- God’s blessing is not always obvious.
- God is present no matter whatThis lesson was adapted from Diane Venzera’s youth curriculum, In the Forest of Finding Out. The full curriculum may be found at: www.dianevenzera.com.Unity Writings: The word universe means “turned into one, a whole.”… A whole needs all of its component parts, and no one part is any more important than the other.
- The Quest, Richard and Mary-Alice JafollaGod as omnipresence is the only presence in the universe. This refers to the all-pervading presence of God, permeating the universe. God is everywhere present. There is no place where God is not. He is in all, and through all, and around all. -Dynamics for Living, Charles FillmoreScripture:“And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” -Matthew 28:20 (NRSV)Unity Principles: (today’s principle is highlighted)1: God is all Good and active in everything, everywhere.2: I am naturally good because God’s Divinity is in me and in everyone.3: I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.4: Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with God and bring out the good in my life.5: Practice, Practice, Practice. I do and give my best by living the Truth I know! I make a difference!Pre-session: Blessing OthersMake sure you create a sacred space at the tables in your rooms. You can do this by lighting the Christ candle and then placing sacred objects around it.Greet Parents and Children. As much as possible try to greet parents at the sign-in table.
- At the Sign-in table ask:
- Please print names
- Does your child have a yellow registration form filled out?
- Any special needs that we should know about?
Pre-session Activity: Giving and Receiving
Materials: White paper and crayons
- As children enter, invite them to draw a picture of themselves doing something kind for someone. Once they have completed that picture, help them to think of a time that someone did something kind for someone else. Have them draw a picture of representing the other person’s kindness on the back of their first picture. Remind the children that when we show kindness toward others, we are giving them a sort of blessing, and they are more likely to show kindness to us (give us a blessing in return).Sacred Circle: Is God in Difficulties?
- 3 Ohms: In order to synchronize our energies, have the children sit in a circle and begin sacred circle with 3 ohms.
- Who is Jesus for us in Unity? Our way-shower, the great master of love.
- Affirmation: I am blessed by everything I experience.
- Introductions/Affirmations: I
n turn, have each student stand say their name and a characteristic they bring to the classroom. For example, “I am Brandon and I bring peace to the circle today.” All the children warm up their hands and put their hands in the prayer position, bow, and say, “Namaste’ ________, you are _______!”Namaste’ means: "The light in me sees the light in you."
- Heart Agreements: Heart Agreements establish the boundaries of how everyone in the group agrees to “show up” in school. They are not being TOLD how they must show up; they are telling YOU how they have agreed to show up. During the course of the lesson, you may refer back to the Heart Agreements. For example, if a group of kids is perpetually talking while you are speaking, then you may say to the class as a whole, “What was our heart agreement about listening to speakers?” And let the kids tell you!Our basic heart agreements are:Gentle HandsOpen HeartsWalking FeetListening earsKind Words
- Love Offering: Divine Love, Blesses and multiples, all that I have, all that I give and all that I receive. And I am joy-filled and grateful. FYI: students may place lots of things besides money in the love offering basket: joy, friendship, peace, love, etc.
Meditation:Now it is time for our meditation. I invite you to become still and quiet your mind and body. Make sure your spine is straight and begin to relax your body, closing your eyes. Take a deep breath in through your nose and gently hold it for a moment, before releasing it through your mouth… Pause… And as you relax your body further, take another deep breath in through your nose and gently exhaling through your mouth… Pause… And finally, one more time, take a deep breath in, hold it and release…Pause…In your mind’s eye, see a tall building that you are familiar with. See how tall and straight this building is. As you look at this building, think about how stong this building has to be to stand tall against all wind, rain, hail, and tornadoes. Slowly, look up to the top of the building and slowly look down to the bottom. Remember all the different bricks that it took to make this a tall strong building…Pause…Now in your mind’s eye, imagine that you are one of the bricks, which make this building tall and strong…Pause… Feel how strong you are. You know that no matter what comes, you are ready to hold this building up. But notice that you are not the only brick holding up this building. You are just one of many bricks. Look around you and see all the other bricks. See that they were all made just like you.Feel how connected to the bricks around you, below you, above you… Pause… Feel the energy of the cement that brings you all together as one. Feel how easy it is to hold this building up against all the storms with all the bricks connected…Pause… Feel how proud you are for yourself and all the bricks around you for coming together to make such a tall and strong building…Pause…Now, as we come back to this time and place, remember that we are never alone. We always have the support of God around us. Now, return your attention back to your body. And when you are ready, open your eyes.Song: Jesus Loves The Little ChildrenJesus loves the little childrenAll the children of the worldRed, Brown, Yellow, Black and WhiteThey are precious in his sightJesus loves the little children of the worldStory time: The Berenstain Bears and the Golden RuleIn this story, Sister Bear learns that choosing to be kind may not always be the easy choice, especially if her friends are not choosing kindness, but it is always the right choice!Discussion Questions:· What did the writing inside of Sister’s locket mean?· Why did Sister’s friends ignore Suzy on the playground on the first day?· How did Sister feel when Suzy gave her back her locket?· How did Suzy feel when Sister asked her to join her friends in the hopscotch game?· Has anyone ever treated you in a way you didn’t like?· How could you show kindness to a friend or family member?Creative Expression: Golden Rule HeartMaterials: Construction paper, white hearts with Golden Rule, stickers, crayonsYou will find colored paper and white hearts with the Golden Rule printed on them. Assist children to glue their white heart on colored paper. The colored paper should serve as a frame for their Golden Rule. Invite the children to decorate their frame with stickers and/or crayons. They may take their Golden Rule home and hang it somewhere special.Closing Prayer:Let us pause for a moment in silence. We send thoughts of love to everyone in the world. Pause.Father Mother God, thank you for this time together to learn and for the wonderful moments when we can connect with you. In this moment we choose to create a wonderful world for all. We allow our Christ light to shine out for the world to see and speak words of love and peace into our world. We are grateful. Thank you God! Amen.Teacher Reminders: Please HELP
- Return the teacher tub and all supplies to the Resource Room
- Sign out by writing the number of children you had on the Teacher Sign-In Sheet.
- At 11 put the sign-in sheets in your supply tubs.
- Put the love offering in the envelope in your tubs.